Thursday, April 2, 2015

Milk - Does It Do A Body Good?


Milk – Does it do a body good?

I grew up being taught that milk was good for my health. It would give me strong bones and teeth. Later in life, I just started avoiding milk as much as possible. The reason was that it caused me to have so much phlegm in my throat that it just wasn't enjoyable to drink. After that, I continued to use it in baking and on cereal and occasionally with a cookie, but no more glasses of milk with dinner.
What I began to learn about milk later made me feel alright that I wasn't drinking it anyway. First of all, most of the milk available in stores is cow's milk. Well, I'm not a cow. Most mammals including bovine, stop drinking milk once they are weaned. They don't drink it again in their lives. Humans are the exception.
Cow's milk isa actually for calves, and is especially designed to fit their needs. Human milk is especially designed for humans as well. Maybe that difference is not widely known, but it is not the same thing. Cow's milk, although containing calcium, is not a good source of that mineral for human bodies. Because of the breakdown of cow's milk in the human body, we actually do not benefit from the calcium in cow's milk. For more details on that I suggest you look up the following link.


There have been studies that show that cow's milk can actually be detremential to our bones as well as to our hearts. You can also find some of those studies mentioned in the above link. Perhaps raw milk would be better for the human body, although with moderation, but most of the available milk has been pastureized or otherwise processed, or the cows have received hormones – neither of which is good for humans.
Our best form of calcium is through our food – plant derived calcium. Unfortunately, the soils that grow the majority of our food have been so depleted of minerals by use of poor fertalizers or over use of the land.
People have turned to suppliments for calcium replacement therapy, but most perscription and over the counter calcium products are made of rocks or sea shells – neither of which our bodies know what to do with. Ususally it is just excreted through urine or potentially causes health issues.
Yet our bodies need calcium for strong bones and teeth, and proper function of heart and muscles to start with. I would suggest you consult a dietician for more ideas, however, here is a list of some calcium rich foods:
1. Salmon
2. Broccoli
3. Oranges,
4. Oatmeal
5. Beans


The best forms of calcium are through our foods. If you are concerned that you and your family need more calcium, you may leave me a message and I can direct you to more ideas for calcium consumption. Thanks for reading. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment